Tuesday 6 November 2012

The Best & Easiest Waffles Ever...

I remember when I was a little girl that it was such a special treat when my Grandmother got out her waffle iron and made waffles.
I can still the remember the smell and taste of those waffles...so SO good!
I got my first waffle iron when I was in University...and I have made waffles many, many times.
And tried many recipes...recipes that came with the waffle irons...recipes from cookbooks.
And I can tell you that THIS recipe, from the Joy of Cooking Cookbook, is the BEST waffle recipe.
It is easy to mix up, smells heavenly and tastes delicious.
Crunchy on the outside and tender on the inside.
Even my mother took this recipe home with her on her last visit to my house.
 If you have never made waffles before, I really encourage you to give it a try!
It really is easier than you think....you just need a 2 bowls, a spatula and a waffle iron.
Waffle irons are very inexpensive these days....I picked up my latest waffle iron from the local drugstore for just $19.99.
And here's the secret to making almost any recipe....the more often you make it....the easier it becomes!
We have waffles usually for Sunday morning breakfast at our house.
And they don't last long.
 
The Best Waffles
{makes approx. 6-8 waffles}
 
Ingredients:
1 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs
8 tablespoons butter, melted {If you don't use REAL butter, I cannot guarantee the taste of the waffles.}
1 1/2 cups milk {we use skim milk because that's what we drink.}
 
Directions:
Measure dry ingredients into a large bowl. Whisk together. Melt butter in microwave. In small bowl, mix together 3 eggs, milk and melted butter. Make well in center of dry ingredients and pour wet ingredients into well. Mix gently with spatula. Let batter rest for a few minutes to give the baking powder time to activate. {You will see bubbles form in the batter.}
 Preheat waffle iron. Using a measuring cup, pour a scant 1/2 cup of batter into the MIDDLE of  each waffle impression. Close waffle iron. It should 'steam' a lot at first...then the steaming should slow down. {This is the batter cooking,} After around 4 minutes, lift up iron and check your waffles. If you want them to brown more, continue cooking for another minute or 2.
 This is how my family likes waffles.....not too brown.
Continue making waffles until the batter is gone. Serve hot with your favourite syrup. Sometimes we have strawberries and whipped cream with our waffles, or blueberry sauce.
This recipe is also a little flexible...you can use 4 6 tablespoons of butter if you would like a lower fat waffle, or a little more butter if you would like crunchier waffles. But we like the recipe above!

And let me tell you, if you can pull off a mean homemade waffle, you will be the favourite Mom on the block. My daughter's friends regularly request homemade waffles at our house when sleeping over!

Do you make homemade waffles?
If not, will you try after this post?



This post is linked to these great parties:
Wow Us Wednesdays, Wow Me Wednesday, Uncommon, Lil Luna, Clean & Scentsible,
Stone Gable, Tidy Mom, Craftberry Bush, Tatertots & Jello , Six Sisters' Stuff, Bru Crew Life,
Today's Creative Blog, Homestories A to Z, The 36th Avenue, The Frugal Girls, Under the Table & Dreaming,

No comments:

Post a Comment

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from