Monday 7 May 2012

Iced Chai Tea Latte Mix...

Welcome to Summer Drinks Week at Echoes of Laughter! At our house, we love special drinks for sweltering afternoons...there is nothing like relaxing with an iced drink in hand.What we don't love is the price....those yummy iced drinks from the local coffee shops can sure add and hurt the wallet.
It started when I told the kids we were not paying crazy prices and buying coffee shop drinks anymore.
{I know...meanie!}I began to think of how we could save money and enjoy our drinks this summer.
I started searching online for recipes to create our fav drinks at home...and I found some delicious ones I want to share.So, this week at Echoes of Laughter, I will be showing you some recipes for yummy and summery icy drinks...drinks that can mixed up in powder form so they have a shelf life to be enjoyed at home, but also be taken to the cottage or camping, and better yet...be packaged for gift-giving!
The first recipe is a mix for chai tea latte.I have tested it and it is super delicious...and it smells so good I want to roll around it and sprinkle it in my bath...well not really...but you get the picture.
And the cost is yummy too.This recipe works out to approximately 55 cents per serving versus the $3+ price from a coffee shop.Doesn't that sound cool?This mix can be used for hot or cold drinks...whatever you like!But just like making hot chocolate from a powder, you must give this a good stir when you mix it.Here's how I like to make our drinks: Place 2 heaping teaspoons in a mason jar, add 1 cup of milk, lots of ice, screw the lid on, work out the biceps by giving it a good shake, take the cover off, add a straw and sip & enjoy! Ahhh!
You can find the original recipe here, but I did make one very minor change, so I will post the recipe here too. {I know the ingredients aren't the healthiest, but neither are the coffee shop drinks, but we must have a little fun sometimes!}

Chai Tea Latte Mix
Servings: 36/ 100 calories per serving
{Makes approx. 5-6 cups of mix}
Cost: 55 cents per serving {Canadian}

Ingredients


1 cup nonfat dry milk powder  {I used Carnation brand}

1 cup powdered non-dairy creamer {coffee whitener. I used Western Family brand, a low cost brand available in Western Canada.}

1 cup French vanilla flavored powdered non-dairy creamer {I used Coffeemate Brand}

2 1/2 cups white sugar

1 1/2 cups unsweetened instant tea {not iced tea mix. I used a British import brand called Typhoo}

2 teaspoons ground ginger

2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground cloves

1 teaspoon allspice

Directions: Place all ingredients in a food processor. Process until it becomes a fine powder. Pour into a large jar or several smaller jars. This recipes makes 36 servings/ 100 calories per serving. This mix can be used for hot or cold drinks. Add 2 heaping tablespoons to 1 cup of  water for hot drinks, or water or milk for cold drinks. Stir well.
{**Note: I had a heck of time finding instant tea granules for this recipe. If you live in the US, instant tea can be found at Amazon.com. In Canada, after checking several grocery stores including Superstore, Save On Foods, Safeway, Sobeys and Zellers, I found instant tea at a British import foods store.}

Now the fun part...the packaging.
I found these cute jars at Dollarama {$1.50 each} and they hold 3 cups of mix.
I also found the darling little spoons {$1 each} at Dollarama...and the ribbon I had in my stash.
I made the tags on the computer.
{If there is anyone out there who would like to work with me on creating tags for my projects in printable form so I could share with my readers, please let me know! I would be happy to link to your blog!}
And a little flower was added for that touch of pretty.
And here we are...the perfect package for gift-giving!
You could package this mix in smaller jars of 1 cup each to make several gifts out of one batch.
This is a great gift for:
 Mother's Day
Birthdays
 Teacher's Appreciation gifts
 Hostess gifts,
 Neighbour gifts
 End of Year Gifts for coaches or teachers
....whatever you desire!
Now excuse me while I go have my iced chai tea latte made with milk and lots of ice!
Please meet me back here tomorrow as I share another yummy mix!

{Thank you so much to Jamielyn at I Heart Naptime for featuring this post here.}



This post is linked to these fun parties:
Monday Funday, nspire Me Please, The Creative CollectionTatertots and Jello, Link Party Palooza, Block Party, Our Sunday Best Showcase,

No comments:

Post a Comment

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from