Thursday 2 August 2012

Crazy Good Cherry Crisp...

 The world needs more cherry trees.
Those were my thoughts when I took the first bite of this dessert. So crazy good and sweet.
The summer I was sixteen, my best friend and I had a summer job working on her family's farm and while we had this job, we stayed with her grandparents.
Her grandparents were wonderful people and one of the many things I remember about staying with them was the cherry tree in their backyard.
It was large and beautiful and loaded with cherries.
I remember sitting in the cool shade of that tree eating cherries until our fingers were stained red and our tummies were full.
I think every child should have a cherry tree to sit in and eat cherries....it's a wonderful summer experience.
 I was really craving something cherry this week, so I made this for the first time and it did not disappoint.
It was delightfully sweet with the perfect crunchy oatmeal topping.
Cherry Crisp


You will need:


2 cups quick cooking oats {I used large flake oats from Bulk Barn}

1.5 cups flour

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

3/4 cups butter, melted

4-5 cups pitted Cherries (thawed and drained if using frozen)

3/4 cup sugar

2 tablespoons cornstarch

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

3 tablespoons lemon juice {lemon juice acts as a flavour intensifier.}


Directions:
Pour cherries into bottom of buttered baking pan. {I used 8.5 x 11 pan}. Sprinkle lemon juice over cherries.
 Add white sugar and corn starch to cherry pan. Stir to combine. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
 In large bowl, add oats, brown sugar and flour. Stir to mix. Add melted butter and stir until butter is mixed into topping. Add a little more butter if topping looks too dry. Pour topping onto cherries. Spread with a spoon to cover the cherries.
 Bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes, until topping is golden and cherries are bubbling underneath.
I found the cherries and topping very sweet, so I served the cherry crisp with a dollop of sour cream.
It was the perfect.
I thought it tasted divine.
I love, love, love this topping mix, and I think I will you use it from now on all my 'crisp' recipes.
I just have one more summer fruit dessert I want to share with you.
It's a traditional Nova Scotian recipe.
Anyone want to guess what it is?

Wishing you all a crazy good day!

If you would like to see other delicious summer fruit desserts, please check out here and here.


This post is linked to these fun 

No comments:

Post a Comment

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from