Wednesday 4 September 2013

Teen Boy Study Space

For my son, the start of this school year brought Grade 7 and with it more responsibility, more independence and, much to his chagrin, more homework.
It has been more than 5 years since we last made any changes to his bedroom, with the exception of a bigger bed for him, so it was long overdue for a BIG makeover for our BIG grade 7 boy.
It was time to dump the crayons and toys for a space suited to a twelve and a half year old young man!
Lucky for us, I was able to create this study space suited for our Junior High boy with the help of Walmart Canada and the #FrugalHeroesChallenge. {You may remember in the Spring that I was absolutely thrilled to take part in this same challenge and was able to create a wonderful new look for our front porch!} I was beyond tickled to be invited back to take part in this fun project again!
This time I was challenged to create a study space for less than $100  and armed with a gift card from Walmart, I could not wait to surprise my boy with a new space!
This challenge from Walmart could not have come at a better time!
 I had been coveting some amazing items at Walmart for our son's room to spice up the space, which just consisted of a lonely chair, boring table and a fun graphic artwork piece that was in desperate need of some companion pieces to make the space both fun and functional for a teen boy.
One of the items from Walmart that I thought would be a great addition to this study space were some modular tiles which can be mixed and matched to create any look you like! I chose one 17" modular magnetic dry erase tile in silver and two 17" modular cork tiles to make an arrangement above the desk. 
Together, they provide the perfect spot for displaying mementos, photos and schedules to make the space feel special and personal.
Another thing required for this smart study space was some kind of lighting. This funky but masculine-looking lamp fit the look I was going for perfectly!
Next some type of desktop organizer was needed for holding the various supplies for homework tasks. This black box with 5 different compartments fit the bill nicely and then I loaded it up with supplies that a young teen in Grade 7 would need such as a scientific calculator, mechanical pencils and Post-It notes.
So how did I do?
Here is the breakdown of the $100 budget for this space:
2-17" x 17" cork tiles @9.97 each =$19.94
1-17" x 17" magnetic tile $11.97
Table lamp $24.98
Desk organizer box $9.97
Push pins $2.00
Highlighters $1.00
Pencils $4.00
Coloured Pencils $1.00
Erasers $1.00
Mini Stapler $1.98
Ball Point Pens $1.00
Tape $1.00
Post-It Notes $3.00
Calculator $6.00
Glue Stick $2.17
Graph Paper $2.00
Loose Leaf .15
Total = $97.83

Walmart had everything needed to make this area into a stylish and smart study space perfect my teen boy!
And what does the boy think?
He loves his new study space and I love that he loves it!
With a new study space complete, I cannot wait to share some of the other projects we have tackled in creating a bedroom makeover for boy who first walked into this room as a 4 year old, but now needs the room to reflect the 12-soon-to-be-13 year old boy he has become!

{Disclosure: A special thank you to Walmart Canada for making this makeover possible with a $100 gift card. I was honoured to be chosen to take part in #WalmartFrugalHeroes challenge.}


This post is linked to:
Inspire Me Please, Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons, Tidy Mom, Inspiration Gallery, The Frugal Girls, Whipperberry, Link Party Palooza, The Sunday Showcase, Craft-O-Maniac, Uncommon Designs,  Aalderberry Hill, Made By You Monday, Give Me The Goods Linky Party, Time To Sparkle,  Homestories A to Z, The 36th Avenue, Inspire Me Please, Chic & Crafty Party, Kitchen Fun With My 3 Sons, Funky Junk Interior, I Heart Organizing, Thrifty Decor Chick,

No comments:

Post a Comment

that give mcdonalds coupons and 
breakfast coupons you also can find recipe from